10 Q’s With Gerdus From New Holland



We had the opportunity to interview, Gerdus the lead guitarist of New Holland. They bring their own vibe into the South African music scene with two full length albums on the market. We wanted to hear what Gerdus’ future plans are, a little bit about his travelling experiences and more about himself. 

1. What do you keep yourself busy with these days?
Gerdus: About a year ago we decided to take a little unofficial break from New Holland. Since then I have been doing some work more in the line of audio post-production (tunes for film), and I’m currently in the final phases of getting my company Cornelia Productions fully up and running. In terms of recreational music creation, myself and Teejay are pretty much done with an acoustic Afrikaans album that has been ‘n looong time coming. We are in the final mixing stages. The thing that I am most excited about musically is a new project of which I am the front man, it includes Reyno Buckle, Leroi Nel, Justin Bossie and myself. The first single will be out in the next couple of weeks. New Holland also started gigging again, so that’s cool, it looks like we are set to perform on the Avontoer again this year.

2. When you’re on the road what‘s your favourite spots to play at? (Bars, festivals) 
Gerdus: There are lots of cool places to play in this country, they’re all cool for a different reason. I really love playing Assembly, Bohemia, Klein Libertas, Bourbons in Potchefstroom, Mystics in Bloemfontein, Tings&Times Ptown, Hotbox Studios Ptown. In terms of festivals, they are mostly great. I have been fortunate enough to play pretty much all the festivals this country has to offer, and each one has something special. I really liked the small Oppikoppi’s, allthough the big one is rad too. Rocking the Daisies is always a really well organized event, and they treat you really well. Ramfest is probably my favourite local festival to go to, and also really awesome to play. Splashy Fen in Durban is also really sick, completely different atmosphere from all the other festivals in the country. Hell, I even like playing KKNK. I think I might actually just really like playing.

3. What is the funniest thing you’ve ever witnessed on the road?
Gerdus: Shoe, difficult…Teejay eating pork rinds that still had hair on them.

4. If you could choose any band/ artist (dead or alive) to open for who would it be and why?
Gerdus: I would love to open for Arcade Fire, because they are probably the coolest thing since sliced bread. 

5. Who do you prefer Ricky Martin or Enrique Iglesias? Come on don’t be shy now.
Gerdus: Enrique Iglesias, he actually wants to get women with his music. Nothing against gay guys, but if you’re gay, make your songs about men. 

6. If you could only take three things with you on your dream road-trip what would you take? 
Gerdus: Tooth brush, tooth paste and an acoustic guitar.

7. What is your favourite New Holland song to play live?
Gerdus: It still changes to this day, but I really like playing the harder stuff, like Uhuru or Inside Out. 

8. What are your future plans with regards to New Holland or any side projects on the horizon?
Gerdus: Refer to my first answer. New Holland started jamming again, we are going on the Avontoer. We are planning on writing new music, but to be honest I wouldn’t expect anything soon. Teejay and I will soon be releasing some Afrikaans tracks, and then there is a wholly new project which I am stoked about. 

9. Who is the most played artist on your playlist?
Gerdus: Air

10. What makes you feel Liberated?
Gerdus: Swimming naked in the sea.

- Interview: Krige Venter

0 comments:

Post a Comment