5 Gum Experience (Two Door Cinema Club)


Free show (The Plastics, Ashtray Electric and Two Door Cinema Club), secret location and free transport - what is there not to like?

The drive to the location, emphasis on location, made me think of the spirit there is at a school outing or camp. Everybody is excited, like kids to embark on the unknown adventure with their fellow peers. 

Everybody in the bus, which I am sure was not road worthy, were exchanging ideas about where the destination could be and if it could be some sort of scam. The drive there created a lot of excitement and confusion and I don’t think many people expected the destination to be on the edge of a township.

At arrival we saw that the show was in the ruins of an old factory and I became instantly intrigued by the venue. After a couple of beers with friends I was really over whelmed by this strange experience. 


The Plastics kicked the event off pleasantly and Ashtray Electric followed with a solid Ashtray show. Two Door Cinema Club lived up to the expectation of the crowd with a really good stage presence and excellent delivery of their songs. They were just as overwhelmed as the crowd by this experience and I also found them to be quite humbled by it. They are a great live band that I would like to see them back in South Africa for another gig.


I’m gonna buy some 5 gum today to show some gratitude for this unique experience. ▲

- Jacques Fourie
- Photographer: Danielle Olivier


0 comments:

Post a Comment