10 Q's with James Acker from The Lottery Tickets


We were stoked to interview James Acker from The Lottery Tickets to hear about his plans, music and love for Gatsby’s. If you’re amped to see them live, check them out at the Synergy Live Festival, 25-27 November.

1.You are probably best known for being the guitarist of The Lottery Tickets. How are things currently looking and are there any future plans for the band?
James A: Things are going well with us. We are currently in studio recording our 2nd album and can’t wait to release it early next year. Future plans involve tours, videos, albums and good times. Our next show will be on the Friday night of Synergy Live 25th November.

2. Speaking about music – growing up in Somerset West, how did you get involved in the music scene and are there any noteworthy music projects you were involved in?
James A:I remember watching bands back in the day like Neshamah and Impropriety ripping up the stage and decided then and there I want that feeling. I used to play guitar in an emo screamo band called Strongerthan, it was fun and fast.

3. I heard you have quite a thing for Gatsby’s, can you elaborate on that?
James A: Ha-ha, yes I do. It’s the best nutritional meal you’ll find after hours. It became tradition to always get Gatsbys after a show, but then okes started getting a bit fat so that tradition stopped quite soon. Every now and again we’ll visit Food Planet in the late hours of the night for a steak & cheese Gatsby along with 2lt Raspberry Jive to wash it all down.  

▲ 4. You spent a year in Scotland in 2007, was there any specific reason for going?
James A: I went on my gap year visiting family, watching bands, attending a muddy festival, work in demolition and of course to “find myself” which I did, on a ferry to the Shetland Islands.  

5. How would you describe Scotland as a country, specifically in relation to our own?
James A: Scotland is really special, everything from the people to the foods, it definitely stands out from all the other countries I’ve visited. The cities have amazing architecture. The farmlands have quite a similar look to ours except everything is green because of all the rain.  

 ▲6. Can you share any interesting stories or can you tell us about any interesting people you came across abroad?
James A: I met some awesome people but the most interesting characters where these Scottish dudes (Ricky, Kevin and Lamb) I met on the bus to Download festival. Drunk on the bus they came up to me and asked me why I was sitting alone and told them my story of being from South Africa on my gap year. The next three days I felt like Elijah Wood in Greenstreet hooligans.

7. I see you’re currently studying at AAA, how is that going?
James A: I’m enjoying it very much; it’s an awesome college and I feel very privileged to be there.

8. If I’m correct, you used to do some work in documentary filming, care to elaborate on that?
James A: I grew up making home made movies nearly every weekend with friends and it became a hobby of mine which later lead to me doing a short film course and then working for a small company in Stellenbosch editing. I also help out a production company called wolfalley that focuses on extreme sports and clothing. The last project I worked on was the Music is Culture music video for Lottery Tickets. 

9. Any local bands that you’re into?
James A: I’m loving local music so much lately, there are some really interesting bands coming out. Favourites have got to be Supercancer, Captain Stu, La.vi, Beach Party, Youth, Vampire9000 and The Plastics. 

10. What makes you feel liberated?
James A: I love the ocean, so a day at Koel Bay along with mates, watermelon and a kookaburra bubble doesn’t get any better.
- Photo: Lauren Walker 
- Interview: Krige Venter


0 comments:

Post a Comment