Interview with James Tuft from Holiday Murray


Photo: Kyle Mijlof
Holiday Murray is one decent band, every time I hear one of their songs it makes me want to open a beer or just lay back and be mellow. They are leaving on the “Avontoer” tomorrow (Wednesday 21 December), so keep your eyes open for one of the shows. We got to chat to their front-man, James Tuft. 

1. Where are you from and did the scene where you grew up have an influence on your music?
James Tuft: I was born and raised in Cape Town. I grew up learning classical guitar and singing in a range of groups at school, from choral to a’ capella, and playing in a band with my friends. I found the influence to learn about music and the type of music I got into over the years came directly from my family, close friends, teachers and idols – both local and international.

2. Nowadays people make music, not necessarily music they love, but music for the market. What are your reasons for playing in a band or the reason for making music?
James Tuft: I love making things. Music has few limits in its construction when it is made honestly and expressively. I make the sounds that move me with instruments that feel natural to me, and try to write lyrics with both an objective and subjective view of the world. Although I am fully aware of market sizes and demand, and intend to make a career out of music, in writing the music I pay attention to its commercial viability 0.01% of the time.

3. From what do you draw inspiration lyric-and music wise?
James Tuft: I have always been fond of literature, so lyrics are very important to me. Currently I draw inspiration from the world as a whole, time, the wonder and cruelty of nature, love, beginnings and endings. In Holiday Murray, we try develop music to match our messages.

4. Seeing you guys play live, I’ve noticed a random stick-figure on stage, what’s the story behind that?James Tuft: His name is Holiday Murray. He is from Tanzania and encompasses all four members of the band into a collective-conscious epicenter that produces the inspiration to write, the courage to perform, and the humility to enjoy it.

5. Where did you record the debut-album and where is it available for the public?James Tuft: We recorded the album in a milk factory in Tableview with Teejay Terblanche behind the knobs and sliders. Unfortunately, due to the expected lack of support from our young music industry, there are now probably only a few physical copies floating around the ghostly retail outlets in South Africa. Digital is different though, and you can get the album on iTunes and BandCamp.

6. You guys are going on the “Avontoer” this year.  Is there any stuff you are amped on? Like being dirty all the time or the bands you are going to be playing with?
James Tuft: We’re just generally excited to travel and play music! The band enjoys being on the road (something that will probably change). We’re all game for over-indulgence, loud music and late nights, and travelling in a bus with a motley crew of musicians like ourselves is perfect and potentially dangerous too.

7. Have you travelled much and what’s your favourite destination?
James Tuft: I am fortunate to have traveled a lot in my life so far, but obviously it would take a lifetime to reach most of the phenomenal destinations on the planet. I find Venice in Italy fascinating, but my favourite destination will always be home sweet home, Cape Town. Not so much for it’s city life or that I have friends and connections here, but more because the Cape is a cornucopia of incredible landscapes and coastlines, the culture is diverse and the weather is moderate.
 
8. Is there something that you are randomly into besides music?
James Tuft: I am learning joinery and cabinet making (wood work) from my father. I also love carving spinning tops on the lathe.

9. You have two music videos out now, plans for anymore in the near future?James Tuft: Lots of plans! We’re looking to double that number by early 2012, but we’ll have to wait and sea. (That was a hint)

10. What makes you feel Liberated?
James Tuft: I think it is very difficult to completely liberate yourself from the absurdly busy world we live in, but the closest I’ve come to it is in wide open spaces and through music.

11. Mercury or Assembly, and why?
James Tuft: I would have to say Assembly. I have just been there more and only ever go to Mercury for particular gigs. I have also never made the Shack my regular watering hole, which is a crucial factor. The Assembly is multi-purposeful, although like anywhere, if you frequent the place too much you might eventually lose all purpose.

12. Some people classify Holiday Murray as “progressive folk-rock”. Your opinion?
James Tuft: We’re still working on our sound, and finding the balance between our recorded product and our live show. We intentionally veer away from classifying our sound into a genre, but if you want to put it on a shelf with similar sounds then I guess progressive folk-rock is reasonably accurate.

13. Let’s see if you know your South African “gossip”, is it true that Jack Parow has a baby on the way? (I’m not even sure about that one)
James Tuft: I heard rumours abound. Also, I believe Huis Genoot has now covered the full story. I don’t know if Jack Parow knows this, but it’s possible I was present when the child was conceived. Passively though, not actively present.

14. Any local talent that you’re amped on?
James Tuft: I still raise my hand for Bateleur who are doing some amazing things. Black Handed Kites are definitely on the road to good things. I recently have a renewed interest in Johnny Klegg and Suvuka!

15. I Saw  your bandpage on Facebook.  “I horny animals”. Explain yourself? Haha.
James Tuft: It was when we were doing a benefit gig for Heels For Horns, an organization that was raising money for the awareness and prevention of poaching rhinos for their horns. That was one of their slogans – pretty strange. The cause was worth it though!  

- Interview: Krige Venter

0 comments:

Post a Comment