Favourite 5's with Jaco Van Der Merwe (Bittereinder)


- Photo: Liam Lynch

1.) Local bands:
- a skyline on fire
- fulka & jacob israel (they’re married, so I’m counting them as one!)
- yesterday’s pupil
- desmond & the tutu’s
- simply dead (Toast Coetzer’s new band with Jon Savage and Jon’s wife Jane)
- lark
- tumi molekane
- yo grapes…wait, is that more than 5?
 
2.) Live acts:
5 best live acts I’ve seen, off the top of my head (I know I’m leaving lots out. that’s why I’m doing 6):
- Rahzel in Rotterdam, 2005, 3 hour set, I’ve never seen or heard anything like it before or after. I was mesmerized for 180 minutes straight.
- a skyline on fire, The Bioscope, 2011, the Queen cover nearly killed me.
- Jacob Israel featuring Justin Badenhorst on drums, Tings, 2010, I burst into tears at one point, it was too beautiful.
- Blindside at Foundry Fly Lounge (now Arcade Empire), 2006, my favourite band in the universe came to SA, I watched 4 of their 5 shows in SA (saw them again in JHB later that week, and then drove through to Durban to watch them at Burn the following night). At one point in the show Christian, the singer, jumped off the balcony into the crowd and then started “walking” on the people, barefoot, still singing.
- Isochronous, Ramfest CT, 2011, amazing musicians nailed it that night with great sound. Peach and Louis and I were all blown away.
- Desmond & the Tutu’s, Moonlight Film Festival, 2006, it was love at first sight.

3.) Places to travel:
- Santiago, Chile. I turned 18 there, in the year 2000.
- Granada, Spain, was there for an amazing week in 2005.
- Leuven, Belgium, my parents lived there for 3 years. Awesome little university town, tons of coffee shops.
- Schaffhausen, Switzerland, saw Europe’s largest waterfall (which is remarkably tiny) in 2008, pretty town covered in snow.
- Torun, Poland, toured there with Yesterday’s Pupil in 2008. Birthplace of Copernicus.
 
4.) Music videos:
- Yesterday’s Pupil - Mechanisms of the Universe
- Jacob Israel - Her Narnian Horse Analogy
- Listener - Ozark Empire
- Fire Through the Window - Long Gone (wouldn’t be able to sing the song along, but that video blew my mind)
- Simply Dead - It’s Less Dangerous (check out the guy in the yellow shirt’s epic dance moves)
 
5.) What makes you feel liberated:
- an epic view from a balcony, preferably at night.
- destroying bowling attacks for my action cricket team.
- when the monitors are doing what they’re supposed to do on stage.
- writing.
- road trips.
- Photo: Sean Brand
- Interview: Krige Venter ▲


0 comments:

Post a Comment