Interview with Adrian Day (Familia & Bilderberg Motel)



Adrian Day has been influential in the South African skate scene for many years. He recently formed Bilderberg Motel with Sean Gibson. Bilderberg Motel’s EP is sick and we wanted to hear more about this project and other questions about Familia and skateboarding in South Africa.

Photographer: Richard Johnson

▲ 1.) How was Bilderberg Motel formed?

It was formed by accident. I had written some songs and wanted to record, but I needed another guitarist at least. Roped my friend Sean in and we started. Then we pulled in our friend’s brett, Matt, Trish and eventually Jean.

▲  2.) The first EP has a 60’s rhythmic rock and roll sound to it and I hear quite a strong Rolling Stones influence prior to 1972, especially on “With or without you”. How did the writing proses work? Was their a certain sound Bilderberg Motel wanted to produce?

The writing process is different every time, depending on who wrote it. It will either be all me or all Sean or we kind of work together. I personally prefer the songs to be done alone and then brought in for tweaks and bits of arranging. With the sound, we are obviously influenced by sounds and styles and era’s. We ultimately, on the first EP, wanted to get a raw Americana sound. People have mentioned the Stones but we had no intention of going that way really…

▲  3.) What South African bands do you like?
Machineri, Shadowclub, Taleswapper, Great Apes, Beast…

▲  4.) Do you take in account when you write songs for Bilderberg Motel how critics would respond on the music and objectify Bilderberg Motel’s music to an extent, because you also deliver critique on albums in the Session?

Well in reality I don’t ever review records. I write random @#!*% and attach it to an album. If you look at my reviews I barely talk about the music. I think reviewing music is idiotic. It’s way too subjective. I think it’s even more idiotic when some underpaid twit reviews one show. So no, I personally do not write songs at all with a critic in mind. I write songs to vent or say something.

▲  5.) If you have to choose Sex Pistols “Never mind the Bollocks” or The Clash “London Calling”?
London Calling for sure.

Photographer: Bergh

▲  6.) How did Familia start and what is your “job” in Familia?

It started mostly because me and Gav Morgan wanted to ride for a company that we liked! We saw things a little differently and created a platform for that. My job as such… well I’m involved in every aspect really.

▲  7.) Bang Chong was a really great skate video; can we expect another video from Familia anytime soon?

There will be a short promo coming out soon, and we had Feeder a little while back http://vimeo.com/23761193 . Full video… not too sure yet.

▲  8.) What do you think of the Cape Town Skateboarding scene? What aspect of it do you think needs improvement?

I think the scene as such is good. Personally I’d like to see some pools or bowls, concrete parks. It’s the slackest city for that @#!*% by far.

▲ 9.) Who do you think in South African skateboarding is raising the bar and whose style and approach towards skateboarding to you respect?

Well I’m going to be biased, but in terms of actual skateboarding I think Loucas Polydorou and Yann Horowitz are two that are able to push skateboarding because they have good influence and it comes through in their skating. They aren’t closed minded and have figured out what skateboarding should be aesthetically for them. they look natural.

▲ 10.) Do you think skateboarding and music changed your outlook in life?

Of course. Skateboarding made me who I am and shaped my entire being. Music too obviously.

▲  11.) Bowls or ledges?

Bowls, but i never get to skate them….

▲  12.) Which destination you have travelled to do you like the most and why?

Hmmm, well I kinda hung back on all the travel for a while. It used to be Barcelona… the lifestyle there and spots I loved. I also met my girl there so I guess ultimately BCN would be the one. I am kinda done with it for now though. I have been there like 11 or 12 times. I’d like to go to some new places. I also really loved Grass Valley in Northern california - just a mind trip that town.

▲  13.) What makes you feel Liberated?

I guess success of any kind can do that for you. Skateboarding, whatever…




0 comments:

Post a Comment